Summary and Suggestions




·       Purposes of Practicum
·       Procedure of Practicum
·       Outcome of Practicum

Teaching practice is an integral component of teacher training. It grants student teachers experience in the actual teaching and learning environment. http://sajournalofeducation.co.za/index.php/saje/article/viewFile/129/160
Teaching practice is an important component of becoming a teacher. It grants student teachers experience in the actual teaching and learning environment (Ngidi & Sibaya, 2003:18; Marais & Meier, 2004:220; Perry, 2004:2).
Undergoing this practicum aim to establish the ways in which the experiences influence the student teachers’ perception of the teaching profession. Despite the positive experiences during teaching practice, student teachers experienced challenges and encounter many problems which will affect their perception of the teaching profession. Based on my findings after taking the practicum, there are some suggested ways on how to improve teaching practice in order to have a positive influence on the student teachers’ perception of, and attitude towards, the teaching profession. Like, maintaining the good public image, and many more.
The student teacher, after taking the practicum can now handle unruly child and different classroom situations. He/she can also learn a lot of strategies, approaches and methods on how to give his/her best shot in teaching.
Another goal of this practice teaching is that the future teachers will be expose earlier on the teaching field.
In addition to learning about teaching skills, methods, strategies and dealing with classroom management, the student teacher should gain knowledge about the community in which he or she is teaching. Being able to socialize well in the community has a great impact on becoming a teacher. In some ways, you can handle cultural diversity in your classroom.
Sense of professionalism, also is a part of the purposes of this practicum. Ethical behavior towards students and peers is essential.


·       The Challenges of Practicum

                As a student of Pangasinan State University – Bayambang Campus, taking up Bachelor of Elementary Education majoring in Enhanced General Education I have the opportunity to have my practice teaching abroad particularly in Indonesia. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life, but there are a few challenges that came my way. I want to ensure you that it’s perfectly normal to stumble upon these difficulties. Because at the end of the day I know deep inside that it’s worth it and you enjoy the journey.
                    Here are the lists of my challenges encountered during my practicum in Indonesia:
ü  A dose of homesickness – as it was my first time to go far away from my family and friends of course homesickness is there. But the most important thing is not to let your homesickness ruin your experience. You might only be abroad for a short amount of time: try to make the most out of it!
ü  Facing the language barrier – I definitely experienced the major problems in Indonesian Language. It’s always a challenge to do my groceries in a country where I can’t speak their language and most specially when I’m teaching. I can’t express myself as a teacher while lecturing because the children can’t understand me. In my first day of teaching, it’s so hard for me I can’t manage the class properly but of course as days go by you can learn something new. In every problem there’s always a solution.
ü  Living in a new environment and adapting their culture – yes! Of course adapting to a new kind of living is very hard specially when you are far from your family. There’s some culture shock, like getting used to the time difference, being able to socialize with the new set of people and many more. These factors can definitely make getting settled into a new internship more challenging.

            An internship abroad can be a daunting prospect, and there are no guarantees that every day will be the best of your life. But managing expectations, taking initiative, asking questions, and keeping good relations in the workspace will most definitely make your intern experience the best it can be!

·         Over-all Impression and Suggestions for Future Improvement
Nothing is perfect in this world. So, Yes I can say that my sacrifices is all worth it. Being part of this program is like a dream come true for me. And all of my expectations are all in there. For the suggestions for future improvement I guess the length of the time for practicum because it’s only for a month and on your 1st week is observing a class, 2nd week is assisting the teacher, 3rd week is the practice teaching and for the last week is the evaluation and completion of the requirements. For me the time for the practice teaching is not enough, definitely a week is not enough. But for the over-all impression all I can say is it’s worth joining this program!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally! It's Time to Go Home! :)

First Day at SDK Sang Timur School (August 7,2018)

Second City Tour (Prambanan Temple & Hutan Pinus)